Monday, November 12, 2012

"Pieces"- Music Video by Combat Vet on PTSD

Here is another YouTube video, but this one is not graphic like the previous one.  It is a country music video by Stephen Cochran, combat veteran and country recording artist.  He speaks truth and hope for families dealing with PTSD.  For every 1 service member killed overseas, 25 are taking their own lives here at home.  If you know a veteran, especially one who deployed since 9/11 who has or is returning home soon, you need to see this music video.  Remember, 1 in 5 (some reports say 1 in 4) returning veterans admit struggling with PTSD.


Here is what he says about his song, "Pieces":

"What comes to mind when you hear the word 'Pieces'? For me it brought to mind the many pieces my back was broken into while serving in Afghanistan with the United States Marines. I like so many others was injured while serving. It was not till after my return to music from combat that I started a different battle, one we are loosing here at home. The invisible and very much lonely fight with Post Traumatic Stress. I like most of my brothers and sisters who have served in extreme combat suffered alone for along time and most of my early career, I almost lost my battle in 2010. I had felt so alone and dare not say I had a 'Disorder' as most hospitals and therapists call this P.T.S.D. So I felt my only coarse of action was to discharge of the damaged gear I had became and attempted to take my life. Luckily with the grace of God and my family I did not, and its been a long road back to normality. As I took 2011 off from recording music to focus on helping my fellow vets and myself heal. I sat down and thought about what 'Pieces' really meant to me…and it had nothing to do with my back or physical injuries. It had to do a lot with putting the 'Pieces' of my life back together after all the suffering. As I toured and visited with other vets I knew it was my duty to write the song 'Pieces' as 'our story'.
All of us who have ever started over from nothing….and that’s most of us in this world not just vets. I hope you continue to help me fight for an end to the lonely suffering and let them know they aren’t alone…and they have no disorder. For we all start over with just 'Pieces' at one time or another in our lives.
"


For more information on Stephen Cochran and his music, visit his website at www.stephencochran.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment